We extend our deep appreciation to Hennepin County Public Health Promotion and Blue Cross Blue Center for Prevention for supporting community garden development in Greater Hennepin County for 2011 and 2012. With addition funding from Hennepin County Community Works in 2011, 18 gardens were created or expanded during this period to provide space and support for people to grow their own fresh produce, share the harvest with those who can not afford it, and to connect with neighbors and the earth, and ultimately have the opportunity to eat healthier and be more active.
If you have any questions about this, please contact Kirsten (612-821-2358)
Hennepin County Community Gardens 2012 Funding Program
In the 2012 growing season, Gardening Matters will work with groups in suburban Hennepin County to start or expand a community garden. The focus is on creating gardens in communities with limited access to fresh, high-quality produce. The 2012 mini-grant recipients are:
- 5.2 Communiy Garden, Brooklyn Park
- CAPI Garden, Brooklyn Center
- Crossings Community Garden, Brooklyn Center
- Garden at HopeBridge, New Hope
- Grow Gardens, Mound
This funding program is being provided by Hennepin County Healthy Eating Minnesota (HEM). HEM is funded by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota’s Center for Prevention, and is focused on increasing access to fresh fruits and vegetables and also has the long-term goal of reducing obesity and tobacco use and the incidence and cost of related chronic diseases.
Community gardens enable individuals to grow fresh vegetables and fruit, which are key to fighting these chronic diseases. Community gardens also provide physical exercise and fresh air, and do so in a community of support with other food growers.
Questions? Contact Margaret at 612-821-2358 or firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR GRANT RECIPIENTS
- Attend the orientation session, May 14th from 7-8:30pm at Brookdale Library in Brooklyn Center.
- Sign a funding agreement before receiving funds
- Submit receipts to Gardening Matters for reimbursement within 30 days of purchase. Receipts will be reimbursed up the full amount of the award between May 1 and October 1, 2011.
- Funds must be spent by October 1, 2012
- Host a site visit with Gardening Matters in June or July
- Submit an Interim Report by July 15 along with pictures/video of the garden
- Submit a Final Report by November 1, 2011, along with pictures/video of the garden
TIMELINE AND DEADLINES
Monday, May 14th, 2012 7:00-8:30pm
Orientation Session for Grantees
Brookdale Library—Rooms A&B
6125 Shingle Creek Parkway
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
Spend funds, submit receipts for reimbursement to Gardening Matters within 30 days of purchase, record donations in the donations log
October 1st, 2012
All funds must be spent
July 15st, 2012
Interim progress report due
July or August, 2012
Host at least one site visit with Gardening Matters
August 11, 2012
Community Garden Day-host an event for the public in your garden!
November 1st, 2012
Final project report due
The following community gardens in Hennepin County recieved funding in 2011.
5.2 Project/Crossroads Community Garden Brooklyn Park
GROW Gardens, Mound
Hope Grows, New Hope
Louisiana Court Community Garden, St. Louis Park
Maple Terrace Garden, Maple Plain
Mount Calvary Community Garden, Excelsior
Odyssey-Vinai Community Garden, Brooklyn Center
Southbrook Park Community Garden, Brooklyn Park/Crystal
Victory-Peace Garden, Golden Valley